Marshfield Clinic Health System offers lactation services staffed by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and Certified Lactation Counselors, who educate you on breastfeeding and work with you to overcome breastfeeding difficulties.
Choosing how to feed your baby is an important decision that has life-long effects for you and your baby. What you have seen and learned about infant feeding from your family and friends is likely to influence your attitude and perceptions.
Whether you definitely plan to breastfeed or you are uncertain, the research is clear.
Your milk is the best milk for your baby, and it is the ideal first food for your baby for the first several months. That is why Marshfield Clinic Health System recommends breastfeeding.
Lactation services include, but are not limited to:
- Prenatal education that explains normal behaviors to expect from breastfeeding babies.
- Initial assessment at the hospital.
- Care coordination with other health care providers as needed.
- Follow-ups prior to discharge from the hospital.
- Assistance with position and latch-on challenges.
- Assistance with potential milk supply challenges.
- Assistance with concerns about infant intake and weight gain.
- Education and assistance with breast pumps. Contact your insurance company before delivery to check coverage.
- Assessment and management of breast and nipple problems, such as engorgement, sore nipples, breast pain, mastitis, breast augmentation and reductions.
- Addressing return-to-work issues.
- Addressing weaning issues.
- Finding support groups in your area.
- Ongoing assessments following discharge.
Note: Please check with your Health System location about their lactation services offerings.